Wednesday 2.9.2020 – Thursday 10.9.2020
1. The Birth of Photography. Constructing Memory and Desire.
2. Photography and Truth. The Magical versus the Mechanical Eye.
3. Proving Reality: Authenticity and Credibility of the Photographic Image.
4. A Different Ontology. Aura, Reality and the Photographic Experience. Death,
5. The Optical Unconscious. Seeing for Seeing’s Sake. Time and Space in the
6. Technological Reproduction and Mass Consumption of Images. “The Imagechoked World”.
7. Discovering a Language of Frames: Grammar and Syntax of the Photographic
8. The Ethics of Seeing. Photography, Media and Journalism. Banality and
Transparency of the Image. Selective Interpretation.
9. The Politics of Image I: Photography in Ideology, Propaganda and Advertising.
Mythology of the Photographic Imagery.
10.The Politics of Image II: The Society of the Spectacle and the Autonomous Image.
11. A Sociology of the Image: Photography as a Practice. A Middle-Brow Art Between
the Vulgar and “High” Practices. The Reversed Aesthetics.
12. Photography in the Age of Narcissism: The Photographic Mirror. Self-Invention,
Avatar Identities and Strategies of Survival.
13. The World after Photography: „A Brothel without Walls”. The Transparent
Society. Surveillance and Incrimination. Peeping, Stalking, Exposing. The End of
14. Digital Media and the End of Photography. The Post-photographic Era.
About the lecturer (short bio):
Todor Todorov is a Bulgarian philosopher and fiction writer. He is a doctor of philosophy and associate professor at the Department of Philosophy, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”. His main fields of study include: History of Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Media and Politics, Media Critique, Ideology and Contemporary Mechanisms of Control. He is currently a lecturer at the Philosophy Department, the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication and the Department of Cultural Studies at Sofia University.
“Politics of the image” is his second summer school in TIESS (Thessaloniki). Last year (2019) Todor taught a course titled “Black mirror. Mythologies of the Future. Anthropotechnics, biopolitics, posthumanism”.
Course language: English
The course will also be available via our online platform (livestreaming and video on demand) and will be accessible until the end of September.
Fee: 120 euros
Subscription: please fill the application form here.
Complete your subscription:
a) via e-banking:
IBAN/ GR10 0172 2020 0052 0209 2537 315
SWIFT-BIC/ PIRBGRAA – Bank: Piraeus Bank
b) via Paypal:
Detailed course schedule and proposed bibliography will be announced in the next days
1. Wednesday 2 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
2. Thursday 3 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
3. Friday 4 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
4. Monday 7 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
5. Tuesday 8 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
6. Wednesday 9 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
7. Thursday 10 September, 7.00-9.00 p.m.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Transdisciplinary Institute for Environmental and Social Studies- TIESS
I. Dragoumi 24